Friday 9 October 2009

"Guests"

Here is how Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL (just to make sure) treats their "guests":

"The Guest hereby agrees on behalf of the Guest, his/her heirs, administrators,
executors, and assigns to release the Department, Argonne, the UChicago and its Board
of Trustees, and the officers, agents, and employees of the foregoing from all liability for
any personal injuries to the Guest which may arise out of the Guest’s access to Argonne
and the use of its facilities. The Guest further hereby covenants and agrees that neither
the Guest nor the Guest’s heirs, administrators, executors, or assigns will bring any suit
in a court of law or equity or before any administrative agency for any such injury
(including injury causing death) against any of the aforementioned parties."

Did I misunderstand something or is this just crazy and way out of line? The way this is formulated Argonne staff could actively attempt to murder me and I could not sue them. I assume that such a waiver is not in accordance with US law anyway but why do people write such a crap then?

Things like that just piss me off. But I guess it's probably not enough to make me really cancel the trip.

2 comments:

Excimer said...

It's just legal crap. If you were at Argonne and someone tried to, i dunno, stab you UCLA-style, you can still press charges against them and they'll still get arrested and sentenced. Total CYA legalese, and it may or may not stand up in court.

Felix said...

alright, I'll just keep watching out for people trying to stab me ...