I wrote about quinine a while ago. I was told that I had the structure wrong. This is what it should look like.
The difference is the configuration at the stereogenic quinuclidine carbon.
An important difference to the "epi-quinidine" which I drew before is that a hydrogen bond is not possible. In the picture below it can be seen that the -OH and N are bent away from each other.
Rotation around the σ-bond that would lead to an H-bond is not possible for steric reasons.
This is apparent in the spacefill model.
I used the typical programs (I wrote about before) and the Open Babel package that I recently read about at Noel's blog. It's a convient way for converting chemical file types. It was very useful for passing structures between the different modelling and graphics programs.
Macrocycles, flexibility and biological activity: A tortuous pairing - Here's an interesting paper from the Jacobson, Wells and Walsh labs at UCSF and Stanford that seeks to demonstrate how restricting the flexibility of macr...
3 days ago